Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Some thoughts that have nothing to do with anything


I was working away early this morning. And it dawned on me that is would be wonderful if every single person over the age of 19 or 20 in a developed country could experience poverty. Harsh? I don't think so. I am not suggesting that people need to live in poverty to experience it.

When I was 15 or so I went to Mexico. It was not a vacation.I worked in an orphanage, and traveled into the jungle. I saw first hand what it is like to not know where meals are coming from. I have also been very poor in my life. I have lived poverty. I knew what it was like to miss meals, because the meals did not exist. I know what it means to not know if you will have a roof over your head, or lights to read by. I know that what I have today could very easily be gone tomorrow.

See, I deal every day with people who feel entitled. Overly so. Too many people think they are owed something, everything, whatever. They say things like "I deserve...(fill in blank)." But do you really deserve anything that you haven't earned by your own? I don't think so.

This is something that has stuck with me for a couple of days now. It has been something that, while I know I am not expressing myself well, I know I need to express this. I think when someone has that fear, when it is something palpable, they change. Maybe I have too much faith in humanity, but I think this fear (special thanks to Lily Allen for that term) has the power to change people for good. To give them the vision of bigger things. A greater grasp of the inter connectivity.

Perhaps, if people were to experience poverty, they could work toward greater things, and see that they are part of a bigger picture that could be a better picture.

My thoughts and heart goes out to the family of my son's friend, Kyle, who took his own life last night. I am so sorry for their loss.

Peace
K


No comments: