Saturday, November 7, 2009

Traditions


It is that time of year. The time of year when we seem to naturally turn inward and start thinking about family and traditions. Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas. They all have traditions that we use to help teach our children the things that we want them to learn. Or traditions that are just really fun.

Growing up, we didn't have very much money. At all. But my mother could cook. She had an imagination that resulted in several fun yearly projects (and a few disasters, like the horseradish inident that sent a friend into labor). 

One of the things that we looked forward to was the giant face cookies. They were simple sugar cookies that were painstakingly rolled out, then decorated to look like smiley faces. Each cookie filled a cookie sheet, and took about half a batch of cookie dough. And they took days to eat. Days. 

In the above photo are me, my brother and my little sister. And our lovely 1960's wallpaper. This photo was taken in about 1979 or 1980, possibly earlier. 
Peace,
K

2 comments:

Shaheen said...

The giant cookies are so, so cute as are you and your siblings/

I really love the photo, makes me want to go and look at my family album, especially those from my childhood.

So where's your giant cookie now
:D

k's mumbo jumbo said...

I keep thinking that I need to make these at least once for the kids. But I just never seem to have the full day it would take. Maybe during the holidays.