Thursday, December 20, 2007

I have no photo

I have no photo today, because I wanted to be sure I posted and I had to resort to using the kids' laptop. Which, by the way is a little bit like using someone else's kitchen to cook in.

I would like to announce that I have officially finished my Christmas shopping. And I am neatly done with the gift wrapping. Not that any of this has anything to do with any of my artistic process, or the business. But, as I have three children, who rely on my to make Christmas special, making Cristmas special is far more important than the business.

The problem is... I am getting very behind in what I think I need to do. And when I get behind I start to feel very unorganized. I think I start thinking "if only I were perfectly organized, well then I could get every thing I want done. " That isn't a very realistic line of thought. But there you have it. I can be very unrational when I am under duress.

I know I am forgetting something that I wanted to say. On my computer there is a stash of started blob entries. I will jot down the really good thoughts and save them in notebook and post them on the days when I don't have anything else to say. And I have a stack of internet sticky notes about threes feet high ( or at least several hundred pixels) on my desktop. But that is all on my computer and not on this one. Here I feel like I am staring at that blank sheet of paper in senior english being told to write my ten minute journal entry, and try to make it relevent and witty.

I don't know if you all know this, but I have a fairly severe addiction to books. I can't go into a used book store and come out with nothing. The library is like a candy store for me. I want to read them all. Well, most of them anyway. I have yet to find a non-fiction book that I didn't at least want to thumb through. When I went shopping with my friend yesterday, we went to the used bookstore near our homes. We were shopping for her and her kids. I was just there to offer support and guidence and focus. I bought five books. I wasn't going to. I need to focus on the business, building up inventory, taking photos, posting product, thinking outside thebox. I do not have time to read, aside from the chapter a day to the girls. But there were just so many nice looking books that looked like they would fit in my bookshelves.

I love the smell of an older used book. And the feel. There is something comfortable about a book that has already been read. And one that have sat around someones house for a while, that book has to be good. I am not into antique books. I don't spend time looking for first editions. I don't even care if the books I buy are in the greatest condition. What I want is a book that wants to be read. One that has character and something to say. I often buy on impulse, which is fine, because I usually buy from a thrift store that sells them for a dollar apiece. And at a dollar apiece, how the heck can I say no? Some of my strongest impressions are of rooms full of books. My dad's office when I was growing up, the book store at Pikes Place Market that my grammie used to take me too. Art and books. Those seem to be the two strongest impressions I have in my head.

And that is an awfull lot of rambling for an entry that doesn't have a picture to go with it.

K

No comments: